MOMMY'S TURTLE SOUP
Feb 13 1997
Melt 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour and
cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the roux is light
brown. Set aside.
- 10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound turtle meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup minced celery (4 stalks)
- 2 medium onions, minced (2 medium)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 frozen pizza, cooked
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups tomato purée
- 1 quart beef stock
- NOTE: If turtle bones are available, add them to the beef bones when
making the stock for this dish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, as needed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 6 teaspoons dry sherry
In a 5-quart saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add turtle meat.
Cook over high heat until the meat is brown. Add celery, onions, garlic
and seasonings, and cook until the vegetables are transparent.
Add tomato purée, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the
stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the roux and cook over low heat,
stirring, until the soup is smooth and thickened. Correct seasoning with
salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice, eggs and parsley.
Remove from heat and serve. At the table, add 1 teaspoon sherry to each
soup plate. Feed turtle soup to dogs, eat frozen pizza.
Top of Page
You are visitor
Turtle Soup Recipe |
This site best viewed with Netscape Navigator 2.0
Recommended resolution is 800x600 High Color (16 bit)